Just Say “No!” to Ouija - Part 3

[The following story is a first-hand, cautionary account about the Ouija board and does not promote it’s casual use. It is NOT a game. It is NOT a toy. If you decide to use the board, please take spiritual precautions such as saying a prayer before use. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! All names are fictitious to protect the identities of those mentioned in the story.]

After contacting Ya-Ya we used the board less and less often. What we thought was fun and a curiosity at first start started to become serious. Yet, because of that same curiosity, we would ask Ya-Ya questions if something were to happen that we could not explain. One such reason was when one of the other cousins, who was not participating, came down with “something”.

Background

Although the Philippines is for the most part Christian and predominantly Catholic, each region’s animistic and shamanistic folk beliefs still continue until the present day. Aside from being religious, Filipinos tend to be very superstitious as well. Many beliefs are shared among the various regions; each region has its own variations or concepts that do not exist in others.

My mother, my father and his sisters, which included my Auntie Pat and Wilma’s mother, grew up Ilocano. The Ilocano are a people and region located on the northern coastal plains on the Island of Luzon. Many of the folk beliefs that I’ve come to know are from that region. I’ve heard stories that they used to tell about the “kapre”, a tree-dwelling spirit that smoked tobacco and would get you lost in the forest, or the “aswang”, a vampire whose torso would separate from the lower body and had a taste for unborn children. The one belief relevant to my experience that summer with the Ouija is the “amling”.

The Unexpected, Inexplicable and Sudden Illness

I’ve only heard of this phenomenon in Ilocano culture. I’m sure that similar phenomenon exist in other Filipino languages and cultures under different names. When I researched “amling” , I found in Carl Rubino’s Ilocano Dictionary and Grammar the following definition: “Supernatural visit”. To become sick because of a “supernatural visit” is to be “maamlingan”. As for me, the short definition falls short of my own experience.

When I was in kindergarten and I lived with my Auntie Pat, I remember waking up from a nap and suddenly feeling ill for no apparent reason. I felt extremely weak and drained of all energy. I was clammy and nauseated. I’m sure that there must have more to it, but my Auntie Pat knew instantly what it was. I had been visited. She went into her closet and found an old flannel that my late uncle wore and placed it over me. I sat on a chair on the patio off of her kitchen as she chanted and asked for my late uncle to “cure” me of my affliction. After several minutes, I began to feel better.

Aside from my own experience with the “amling”, I have only seen it happen one other time.

Another “Visitation”

Although I never understood how or why I was visited, what happened to my cousin, Ike, that summer that Wilma visited and we used the Ouija board was like another piece of the puzzle falling into place.

Similar to when I was a five-year-old, Ike woke up from a nap and felt exactly the same way that I did, weak, cold, nauseated and devoid of energy. Looking back the only difference was that he was afflicted at an older age (he was in his teens; I was only five or six). Everything was the same, the place, the symptoms, even the remedy that my aunt used. Once again, she went into her closet and brought out the same flannel and proceeded to cover Ike. She chanted over him out on the patio and asked my late uncle to “cure” him.

Once Ike started to feel better, we had asked him if he had experienced anything odd before the episode. After some thought, he gave us a clue. Sometime before he took his nap, he was out on the patio outside the kitchen where my aunt cut his hair. As he was looking out into the five-acre lot, he saw a dark figure dart from behind the shed where they kept a small motor home. He didn’t mention it to anything thinking that it was the tree or the bushes casting a dancing shadow on the building. But, he remembered it odd because it had the form of a person.

After he was feeling better, our curiosity urged us to consult Ya-Ya. We went inside Wilma’s room and asked if the figure somehow had caused Ike’s sudden illness. The response we got was “yes”.

Later that week, he wasn’t the last one to see a shadow figure dart by before something unfortunate happened.
 

Do you want to know if you’ll get some tonight? Or, maybe just a peck on the cheek? Or, a hug? Is there any potential with that guy or girl that you had a date with?
How will that job interview go? Will you get the job? Do you want the job? Should you keep looking?
Scroll down to find out how to get the answers you need…

Get insight into these and more questions now!
Get The YiJing Oracle to gain insight from the ancient Chinese Book of Changes, the Yi Jing (I Ching) all on your Android phone or device.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lingering Scent of Vanilla

The Uninvited Passenger